Friday, October 4, 2013

Debbie's Special Occasion Clutch : a 2013 FAL Tutorial

she can quilt

Today, Debbie from A Quilter's Table, is sharing her tutorial about how to make a special occasion clutch. Debbie is a constant source of inspiration to me - she makes the most beautiful quilts and things - and she has become a good friend who I have yet to actually meet in person. She sure makes this sophisticated clutch seem easy to make, I am going to have to give it a try. I bet you will want to make one too, read on.

Hi there! I'm Debbie from A Quilter's Tablewhere I share my journey of quilting as well as my love of the Table. I've participated in the Finish-A-Long for nearly two years, and it has been a great motivator for me as well as being a whole lot of fun! When Leanne asked if I could share a tutorial this week, I was pleased to do so!

Although I consider myself primarily a quilter, I also love to make what I call "littles" . . . smaller projects where I can try out techniques, play with beautiful fabrics, yet still have a quick satisfying finish. So when my son got married last summer and I decided I needed a mother-of-the-groom clutch to carry at the wedding, it wasn't much of a stretch for me to make it myself.


Rather than spend time piecing a more complicated exterior, I chose to embellish some Essex linen with quilting. Here's how easy it is to whip up a Special Occasion Clutch for yourself!

Of course you need supplies. I like to keep both of these on hand in my studio:
~ a 8 x 3" purse frame
~ Gutermann Creativ Glue
(I get mine from WhileBabyNaps.)


Use the template {here} to cut out 2 each: exterior fabric, lining fabric, and fusible batt.


Fuse the batting to the back of both of your exterior pieces. With your hera or other making tool, mark several random, curving lines across the front of your clutch exterior.


Put on your walking foot and quilt on your marked lines first. From there, I suggest just going for it - there's no wrong way from here. Just quilt what you feel, even switching threads once or more to add some variety. (Of course, if it makes you more confident, feel free to mark as many of the lines as you wish!)



With the quilting done, it's time to construct your clutch. Using your pattern as a guide, mark on the backside of fabric where your frame hinge will hit the edge. Do this for your exterior pieces as well as the lining.


Pin the two exterior pieces, right-side together, and stitch from one mark, down along the bottom, and up to the mark on the other side, securing threads well at beginning and end. Repeat for lining EXCEPT leave an opening 2 1/2-3" wide along the bottom of the lining.


Turn exterior right-side out and carefully slip into the lining, which is still wrong-side out.


Nestle in until the side and top edges line up. Align sides were stitching ends and pin on both sides. Pin along upper sides and top edge. Note that you are pinning one lining piece and one exterior piece together. Stitch from one side pin, up along the top and down the other side to the other pin, securing threads at beginning and end. Repeat for other side.


You're almost done! Turn the entire clutch right-side out, pulling through the hole left in the bottom of the lining. Before tucking the lining into the clutch, fold 1/4" in along the hole in the bottom of the lining - I find it helps to press lightly with my iron - then pin and stitch opening closed, either by hand or machine.


Now tuck the lining into the pouch, pushing down into the corners, and smoothing along upper edges. Press entire clutch well.


I like the added touch of stitching very close along the upper edges of the clutch. This stitching will not show, as it will be tucked into your frame, but it makes the insertion so much easier.


Now for the frame! Run a bead of glue into the frame channel, from one hinge, all along one half of the frame to the hinge on the opposite side. Carefully insert one side of your clutch, starting with the corners, then finish tucking in along the top edge and the sides. It all works quite easily! Let clutch set on your work table for 15 minutes or so to let the glue begin to set.


Repeat to glue the remaining side and let clutch dry for an hour or so.


And you are done!! I hope you enjoy making a Special Occasion Clutch of your own!


(If you make a clutch, feel free to post it in the Quilting with A Quilter's Table flickr group!)

And thank you Debbie

Don't forget to link up your Q3 finishes - the Q3 post-quarter link is open here and it will close at midnight MST, October 7, 2013. And if you still have some UFOs I hope you will join us for Q4 of the FAL, Q4 FAL lists can be posted starting on October 8.

8 comments:

Clara {Clover and Violet} said...

Very pretty! I have been wanting to make a clutch like this for quite some time, this was a great tutorial, thanks Debbie!!

Rhonda the Rambler said...

So very pretty. I have saved the template because I have the frames and I really want to try this. Oh and just an FYI for your readers, Nail Polish Remover (the kind with the acetone in it) will clean up any glue you get on the frames. Please don't ask me how I know....hehehe

Unknown said...

Also, rubbing a scrap of fabric on the frames will work, if you don't have remover.

CapitolaQuilter said...

The combo of stitching on linen and contrast of large scale Field Study lining is so successful. I've been meaning to make another since learning at Sewing Summit last year and this tutorial will help refresh my memory, thanks Debbie.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful tutorial! I really need to give that a try.

OPQuilt said...

(No need to forward this--I left a note on her blog, too.)

A fabulous tutorial--it's been fun to read them all and I look forward to the upcoming posts!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous....great tutorial. Love it!!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Really lovely xxx