Tuesday, September 27, 2011

For Wednesday - I have some progress to share.

5 x 4 Blocks - Hive 12

Here are all 6 of the blocks I made for my hive in the 5 x 4 Modern Bee. Each person picks colours and then you make 6 of whatever block you like in each person's colours. This block is an adaptation of Megan from Canoe Ridge Creations' tutorial which is here.

This one is for Megan, who asked for purple, orange and grey. I am becoming very partial to dark grey backgrounds. The purple and orange look very sharp on the grey.

5 x 4 Modern Bee - Block for Megan - Hive 12

I am totally enchanted with these butterflies. This next one is for Elizabeth who asked for blue, grey and lagoon/peacock on a white background. The lagoon/peacock wing is a bit more peacocky in real life.

5 x 4 Modern Bee - block for Elizabeth - Hive 12

These are 12" blocks. I am imagining them much larger and meeting corner to corner in a quilt. This next one is the one I showed you before. It is for Christina who asked for kelly green, navy/dark blue and yellow on a white background.

5 x 4 Modern Bee - block for Christina, Hive 12

Here is Erin's block. She asked for blue, green and grey on white. But not lime green, which is what I have the most of by far.

5 x 4 Modern Bee - for Erin, Hive 12

Seems I need to show you each one, thank you for your patience. It was really challenging to pick the fabrics for each person. Now, I have a lot of fabric, but I worry that I have not picked the right shade or that the recipient will be annoyed that there are bits of other colours in there too.

This next one is for Kathleen who asked for blue and orange on white. As a member of the Aqua and Orange Bee, I am partial to these colours.

5 x 4 Modern Bee - for Kathleen - Hive 12

Finally the one for me. I picked blue and grey on white. I am happy with any shade of blue, here I tried to avoid too much aqua as the other blocks seemed to have a lot.

5 x 4 Modern Bee - Block for me - Hive 12

Today I came home to find a package with  the Freebird for Moda fabrics that I won in Judith at Rags to Bags's give away. She sent this from Ireland on September 10 and today, September 27, it is in my hands here in Canada. That's only 17 days to go 3900 miles, 6720 kilometres. There are 7 times zones between my house and hers, so when it is morning here, it is late afternoon there. (By the way, I sent Judith a package on September 13 and she got it on September 21 - even faster service from here to there). I only wish my swap packages could travel as fast as these fabrics did.

Freebird for Moda - all the way from Ireland

Thanks Judith for the give away and these lovely fabrics.  Judith was supported by River Fabrics in her give away so thanks to Janette at River Fabrics too! Now I get to figure out what to make out of them.

I am going to link this to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced in the morning. All kinds of wonderful projects are linked there, I hope you will go and take a look.
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced 
 I am also linking to a new Canadian WIP group called The Needle and Thread Network, where everyone is welcome but shy Canadians are especially encouraged.
I am off at 4 a.m. on an airplane, enjoy the rest of your week.

Best, 

Leanne


29 comments:

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Love all of your blocks and all of the colors! I am loving dark grey right now too.. in fact I am working on a project that will use it as the background also. :) Safe travels to you!
xo
Kelli

Debbie said...

I really love your 4x5 blocks!

Megan said...

Love your blocks! :) Thanks for the shout out!

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

omg I think I have to make a quilt with those!! i LOVE the curves so much!

thanks for linking!
~Monika
sewing in Saskatoon

Dale Anne Potter said...

Those are AWESOME, LOVE the colours and what a FABULOUS pattern! THANKS for linking on the Needle & Thread blog.

Teje said...

Hi Leanne! Every block is just so beautiful! Now I feel that I should have chosen that die for my Go!baby. They make so lovely flowers and your fabrics are beautiful!

Sheila said...

Really super blocks, love your own colourway, also Erin's, in fact, all of them.
Isn't it funny how we become beset by self doubt in these swaps - I can't imagine any of your partners being anything but delighted!

Marg said...

Leanne I love your blocks they are absolutely awesome. All of the colourways are wonderful.
I am so glad I have the Drunkard's Path die as that design is amazing.

Sarah said...

Those blocks are so lovely! You've got soooo much lovely fabric too... I'm totally with you on the dark grey background, its fab.

Michelle @ the quilted tortoise said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!! They are all gorgeous! I am totally loving those greys. I ordered some on the weekend, if only post from the US to Australia wasn't taking a whole month recently!!!

I agree that i think you have been too close to the blocks to be as objective. Your partners will love them! You can always tell that that if they don't they can forward them right on to me :)

Melinda said...

Just beautiful! I love your take on these blocks!

Judith, Belfast said...

Wow Leanne these blocks are totally stunning. I love the aqua/orange combo and also the purple/grey one (purple's my fav. colour). They would look amazing all in one quilt. Hope you have a great flight! Jxo

elle said...

You Modern Girls are so clever. These are wonderfully refreshing!

Kerstin said...

The blocks look absolutely amazing, and I'm seriously jealous about that freebird fabric...

Sheila said...

Gorgeous blocks , such lovely color combinations! Great win too!!!

Sarah said...

Fabulous blocks and your choice of colour for your bee friends is great! Hope everybody is delighted to receive these!

Elizabeth Dackson said...

I love your blocks, they look fabulous!! Can't wait to see mine in person :)

Poppyprint said...

Your blocks are absolutely gorgeous and congrats on that amazing fabric win! Love those.

Clare Mansell said...

I really love these blocks, and when you pointed out that they were butterflies I loved them even more! We have a bit of a butterfly thing in our family, so an adaption of this would be great for Chistmas presents! Excellent! :-)

Gina Loomis said...

All the blocks are fantastic & I love the design! They are gorgeous!

Mary Menzer said...

These are all beautiful and awesome!

Scrap,Quilt, Preach said...

These are really neat blocks and a good way to use up scraps. I will have to bookmark the link. Thanks.

Angela said...

those blocks are so beautiful! I will definitely have to try that pattern.

Martha said...

Loving your blocks...great job. Have a wonderful day.

Toni said...

Your blocks are stunning! Lucky bee partners!

Heather D. said...

The blocks are really beautiful. I love the curves, and the fabrics you show are stunning.

Chelsea said...

the fabric and colour combos are amazing! and I love the idea of upsizing these for a whole quilt.

Rachaeldaisy said...

These blocks are so amazing. I saw them on flickr and keep returning to look at them. Awesome pattern and fabulous fabrics!!

Anita Nelson said...

I didn't need one scrap of patience to look intently at every singe block. You are a genius with color and texture. Thank you so much for sharing, inspiring and brightening my day.