Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Mystery Unfolds

Tippecanoe - Mystery Quilt QAL

This block is called Tippecanoe. Sheila, the mastermind behind the Mystery Quilt QAL, explained that this block was one of the blocks that were designed as a tribute to William Henry Harrison (1773-1841), who was the ninth President of the United States.

Tippecanoe - Mystery Quilt QAL

This is a close up of another, I think they are wonderful. They are paper pieced but so much easier paper piecing than some of my other recent attempts so I only made a few silly mistakes. Like cutting off the fabric I had just sewn on. Sigh.

Mystery Quilt QAL: The most recent assignment - done

Here are the 7 tippecanoe blocks I made over the last two days, attached to the first block of the QAL. These are hard to sew on because there is a big blob of seams at the pointy ends. Although I was imagining a quilt of just tippecanoe blocks sewn together, I think it would be tiresome to try to join them.

Mystery Quilt QAL

Here are my Mystery QAL blocks all together, sun dappled on the deck. I still have some left over homework from the last lesson, but I think they look nice so far.

Today is a day for being outside in the garden, it is beautiful already. And I am almost done with the plum jam (56 jars so far), and just in time as the blackberries are ripening!

Best,

Leanne

15 comments:

Manda said...

The blocks look wonderful all together!

Letterpress said...

Terrific layout. My sister used this block last year to make a tribute quilt and the pattern she purchased called it Crossed Canoes. The only difference between yours and hers was that she inverted the colors like this: http://www.ciaspalette.com/patterns/05/crossedcanoes.html

So maybe all of one color is Tippicanoe and mixed colors is Crossed Canoes. At any rate, yours is beautiful!

Elizabeth E!
http://occasionalpiece.wordpress.com

MariQuilts said...

They're beautiful....they look so nice displayed on the wood.

Judith, Belfast said...

These are looking gorgeous altogether! It's going to be a fabulous quilt. What a shame I live so far away from you - I love homemade jam! Jxo

Sarah said...

Your mystery quilt is looking fabulous!

Canadian Abroad said...

This is going to be one beautiful quilt!

Sarah @ FairyFace Designs said...

Really love these block Leanne, this quilt is going to be fab when its finished!

Teje said...

Beautiful stars and I love the last photos where you have collected different blocks! They have lovely colours and all together they make wonderful quilt!

Debbie said...

SO nice - I love them!

Sheila said...

I love being called a mastermind - great job!

tusen said...

Your mystery quilt is going to be very nice. And I just love the tippecanoe blocks.

Marg said...

The blocks look beautiful. I love all the different colour combinations of the seven blocks.
How many jars do you own?

Fiona @ Poppy Makes said...

Your blocks are amazing! I wanted to start this QAL but never quite managed to start. Wish I had now. Your quilt is going to be fabulous!

Marci Girl said...

Simply beautiful Leanne! I love all those little star blocks surrounding the large one!

Katherine said...

Breathtaking! Gorgeous work, Leanne. Can't wait to see more of this beauty.